Sunday, June 24, 2012

My Meatless Mondays - Sunshine Rice

If you have a lot of cooking to do, in one day, do you find the last dish gets slighted?


Friday, I got up early and did not stop until about 5, making tons of salads and side dishes.  At the last moment, hubby asked if we could have rice.  He adores rice and even quinoa doesn't act as a good substitute.


Rice is easy enough to make so I decided, I could add a simple rice dish.  The recipe came from Spark People and was perfect for the time of day.  There was little to do but that little was too much for me.  This proves, you can produce a good dish, with little motivation and effort.  I would spice  it up, next time around.  I found it too bland but its potential is huge, especially for the ease in making it.


I am leaving the original recipe so you can see the changes, I made and how tired, I must have been.  It was well worth since Hubby really enjoyed it and appreciated my making it.

Sunshine Rice (adapted from Spark People)


Ingredients


    • 1 tablespoons olive oil
    • 1 1/4 cups finely chopped celery with leaves
    • 1 1/4 cups finely chopped onion
    • 1 cup water
    • 1/2 cup orange juice 
    • 2 tablespoons lemon juice 
    • dash hot sauce
    • 2 cups cooked rice
    • 1/4 cup slivered almonds

Method:

Heat oil in medium saucepan. Add onions and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes.


Add water, juices, and hot sauce. Bring to a boil. Stir in rice and bring back to a boil. Let stand covered until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.


Serve.

Looking back:


Crunchy Munchy Salad -  Easy Natural Food - I want this for lunch today.

Chick Pea Curry - Nap Time Creations - I love curry.


Quinoa Salad with Buckwheat and Edame - Fox in the Kitchen - one of my favorite blogs for GF
Feature3_C_IMG_5038

I could not pick out a dessert, this week, so here is a peek, at a few.  Trust me, there are many more.
    

I hope these are enough for a starter.  Please go back to last week's linky to find these recipes and many more.  I think, this particular linky could keep me in desserts, for the month.

Linked to See Ya in the Gumbo     My Meatless Monday  Mop it Up Mondays    Mix it up Monday     Mealtime Monday Recipe Link  Makin' You Crave Monday    Melt in Your Mouth Mondays      Mangia Mondays           Gluten-Free Weekly Meal Plan Linky        Made From Scratch Monday      On the Menu Monday       Inspire Me Monday      On the Menu Monday    Hearth and Soul Hop     Slightly Indulgent Tuesday      Fat Tuesday    Tuesday Talent Show at Chef in Training       Naptime Creations Tasty Tuesday Link Party 
 
It is time to link up what you have been cooking and it is time for us to enjoy each linky.  Thanks gang.


20 comments:

  1. Thank you for hosting. I look forward to gathering a lot of mouth watering recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Sunshine Rice looks delicious! Hope you have a fabulous week and thanks for hosting!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you had a great week. Thanks for hosting every week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for hosting! This week, I'm sharing my Tasty Thai Flatbreads w/ GF Cauliflower Crusts! They're Gluten Free, Body Ecology Diet friendly with a Vegan Option!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm...you have peaked my interest. Sounds so good, I will have to try. Thanks for hosting the hop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for hosting! I've shared my Strawberry and Lemon Curd Tea Sandwich. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with your husband. Give me a big bowl of rice and maybe some fried tofu and I am satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for hosting Chaya!

    I'm sharing How To Make Irresistible Coconut Oil Chocolates, How To Cut the Perfect Avocado - Every Time, and a Giveaway for a The Complete Idiot's Guide To Fermenting Foods.

    http://www.beyondthepeel.net/2012/06/the-complete-idiots-guide-to-fermenting-foods-review-giveaway.html

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing these techniques and your giveaway.

      Delete
    2. I can relate Chaya to feeling too tired to give a dish my best effort, but the rice had possibilities, and your husband did like it.

      Delete
  10. Hello and thank you for hosting.

    This week I am sharing:
    (1) Super Simple Summer Garden Pasta (gluten free, dairy free, vegan): http://www.thetastyalternative.com/2011/09/garden-summer-pasta.html
    (2) Delicious Homemade Coconut Granola (gluten free, dairy free, cane-sugar free): http://www.thetastyalternative.com/2012/01/parfaits-with-panache-persimmon.html
    (3) Candy Cane Beet, Strawberry and Black Plum Salad with a Ginger Lemon Honey Dressing (gluten free, dairy free, SCD):
    http://www.thetastyalternative.com/2012/06/go-ahead-honey-seasonal-salads-candy.html

    Have a great rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No wonder you were tired after all that cooking! Your sunshine rice sounds delicious though. I've shared my recipe for a vegetarian version of a classic French dish - French Onion Soup. Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I just love the name! It makes me happy before even trying it. I tend to do big cooking days--Sundays to cook for the week ahead. You are right. By the time I get to the last dish or two, I take way too many shortcuts. Maybe one day I'll learn. But probably not.

    Thank you for sharing with See Ya In the Gumbo--I so appreciate that you participate each week! If I can get in gear and post something this week, I'll be back to link up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chaya, thank you for highlighting my Quinoa Salad and your kind words! I'm with you about those desserts, they sure do look yummy and I don't think I could pick just one or two :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for choosing my Cinnamon Roll Casserole as one of your desserts. It really is so good. This week, I linked Baked "Fried" Zucchini...a favorite at our house.

    Wende
    The Rickett Chronicles

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, thank you for hosting! This week I'm sharing my Bean Salad....in a hurry! at #61. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for hosting! I have shrimp (again) this week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.