Friday, September 7, 2012

Swiss Chard Soup - Power Food


Power Foods - Swiss Chard Soup

Power Foods: 150 delicious recipes with the 38 healthiest ingredients is the book, we are using. Each week, we take one of the power foods and make a dish, using it. For me, this has been an introduction to a few vegetables that are new to me and also, some that are staples. If you would like to join us, please contact the coordinator and creator of the group, Mireya - My Healthy Eating Habits.

This week, our power food is Swiss Chard, a brand new leafy vegetable, for me.  It is rich in many nutrients including vitamins A, C, E and K, B vitamins, copper, magnesium, potassium, iron, protein and phosphorus. 
I am not sure whether we would like Swiss chard in a salad but in this soup, it was just wonderful.  This was another winner for my husband who devoured it.  The fragrance filled my kitchen with a sense of heartiness.


I must admit, I am thankful for the photos in the book of the vegetables.  I would not have recognized Swiss chard without it.  The woman, checking me out, obviously knew no more about it than I did since she had no clue what it was.  We both had our lesson for the day.

Since, my husband had a meeting after work, I made this in a crock pot and as a result, I decided to skip browning the vegetables.  In the end, it turned out to be an easy recipe to make.  Other than the chopping of the vegetables, this was certainly not labor intensive.

Swiss Chard Soup

2 carrots, chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
3 cups organic vegetable broth 

1 can diced tomatoes (about 2 cups)
4 cups chopped Swiss chard
1/2 cup kidney beans

1/2 cup black beans
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup shredded Mozzarella

Method: 

Clean Swiss chard thoroughly.  I found lots of dirt throughout.

Turn crock pot to high and add carrots and onions.  Add garlic, the broth, Swiss chard, beans, tomatoes, thyme, salt, oregano and pepper. 

I had to push the Swiss chard down since it filled the pot but as it wilted, this was not a problem.
Cook for 3 hours.  

Add the shredded cheese and mix in.  Cook for another 30 minutes. 

Scoop out about 1 cup of the vegetables and using a hand blender, blend ingredients to consistency you prefer.  I left it a little bumpy.  Add back the vegetables and you are ready to serve.

This is a rich and flavorful soup which I plan to make again.

Please visit the other Power Food Cooks and see what they are doing with the swiss chard.

Alyce - More Time at the Table, Ansh - Spice Roots, Bambi - Adobo Down Under, Chaya – My Sweet and Savory Jeanette - Jeanette’s Healthy Living, Jill - Saucy Cooks Martha - Simple-Nourished-Living, Mireya - My Healthy Eating Habits, Sarah - Everything in the Kitchen Sink,

10 comments:

  1. Wow, this soup looks really good. And it's just in time for the cooler weather. I'm putting this on my "to-do" list. Soup season is maybe a few weeks away at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe, Chaya! I love soup year-round, but this looks particularly great for the cooler weather! Pinned it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This soup sounds amazingly good. I can't wait for it to start cooling down so that I can start making soup again

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the healthy ingredients in this soup including the chard. Being the soup lover that I am I especially interested when I can make it in a crock pot. Great photo layout too. It looks so hearty and tasty , I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that's what I call a power food soup! I haven't learned to eat it raw yet either. Great going for your first time with chard!

    Mireya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cooler weather FINALLY moved in here last night and a bowl of this sounds wonderful right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its just the weather for a dish like this! Super super Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks just wonderful. I've got a couple of chard plants out there that are really kicking it into high gear the last week or so - this sounds like the perfect way to make the most of them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this soup is packed with power foods - love how good this is for you and it sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.